‘What is more likely is that just as the printing press in the fourteenth century and photography in the nineteenth century had a revolutionary impact on the development of modern society and culture, today we are in the middle of a new media revolution – the shift of all culture to computer-mediated forms of production, distribution, and communication.’Consequently, digital technology has become an inseparable aspect of ordinary life and functioning non-digitally is now a foreign and impractical concept. Looking back, there are hardly any times when I consciously chose to reject these comforts and only a few examples come to mind. The first unfolded whilst attempting a journey from Spain to France with only a rucksack and minor essentials. The train ticket consumed all my cash and, although I reached the destination city, it quickly dawned that there was no possibility for notifying the friend of my arrival. Eventually I managed to persuade a generous stranger to permit a brief emergency call on their land-line telephone, but without such kindness I’d have struggled to wait for my friend’s response after posting a hand-written letter by mail. The second event took place more recently, during a week-long spiritual pilgrimage to a remote Hindu monastery. Staying there required complete abstinence from not only meat and alcohol but also technological distractions. Therefore, all cameras, phones, tablets, and laptops were strictly forbidden on the premises. Initially, I didn’t mind relegating my sole leisure time to books and meditation, yet long days of constant hourly prayer sessions and endless meditation slowly wore me down, until the joys of reading were insufficient at providing a necessary level of personal entertainment. Perhaps it’s a shame that our attention spans have been enslaved by clicks or jingles, and older generations love dramatically lamenting about the woeful impact of technology on modern youths today. Nevertheless, I’d still consider this Luddite rejection small-minded and horrendously ungrateful because too many people fail to recognise the inherently privileged majesty of beholding a compact device, manufactured with silicon and powered by lithium, that provides instant access to the entire repository of human knowledge and recorded history.
Reference List
Manovich, L. (2001). The Language of New Media. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press. Available at: https://dss-edit.com/plu/Manovich-Lev_The_Language_of_the_New_Media.pdf [Accessed 23 Jan. 2020].

No comments:
Post a Comment