Monday, 2 January 2017

Documentation Log 2: Composition


Experimenting with Objects and Materials

 In our lecture, we created a square with masking tape and then used it as a template to experiment with different levels of composition.

 For the first experiment, we each contributed an object and then arranged it, according to the form it possessed. Then we took turns arranging them to create various shapes. In this example, they were aligned in a spiral to create a set of steps.

 Then we chose a different set of objects and placed them in a pattern, according to shape. Here you can see the main line of composition is a 3x3 square. However, the secondary line of composition is a round or circular quality. This complements the main line and strengthens the piece as a whole.

 After working as a group, we split up and applied what we had learned to our own work. I took the materials I am using for my project and placed them in the square. I chose: Sandpaper, plaster bandages, sticky notes, balloons, and gold leaf. Despite their contents, each item was either square or rectangular. To follow their form, I arranged them into a knolled pattern.


 For my next experiment, I placed all the items on top of each other. This created a short totem pole of my materials and combined them into one object.

No comments:

Post a Comment