Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Documentation Log 3: Mind-Mapping

Investigating Various Themes

 To help visualise the underlying themes of my project I brainstormed about 50 different key words. I looked at the materials I was planning to use, the shapes of my masks, and the properties of all different aspects, both physical and mental.

 I wrote everything down on paper and arranged them into a square. This showed the conceptual breadth of my project and helped to view it as a whole.

 Then I began to narrow down all these ideas into more accurate lines of composition. I organised my thoughts into groups and arranged them by process. This slowly grew into a timeline of concentrated ideas.

 I continued adding and refining these ideas, until I had a solid grasp of my project. This resulted in five major lines of composition, with one even containing two secondary lines:
1.     Theme – why, self, perception.
2.     Masks – copies, break, mend, defects.
3.     Time (video) – timelapse, growth, creation/destruction.
4.     Time (sound) – internal thoughts.
5.     Skin – paint/objects, colour.
6.     Layers – texture, futurism, wire, contours, nature, leaves.


 By thinking about my project and narrowing it down to these core essentials, I was able to identify which elements were the most important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment